Who?

My photo
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States

Apr 23, 2012

Final Sunday Part One: The Police Museum

Every year a listing is published of all the museums.  It was a goal for me to visit as many as I could.  I didn't quite make it to all of them, like the food museum (by appointment only) but on the list was the Police Museum.

 What can you find at the museum?
 1. General historical information about the police force.
 2.  Gallery featuring the inside world and paraphernalia about the Triads ( Hong Kong mafia).
 3. Replica of a heroin factory.

 Why did I want to go? As useful as learning how heroin is made, my main reason was of course to gawk at  the head of the last tiger shot in Hong Kong.  I am not sure if this is disputed, but this tiger and a photo to prove it, was shot in the 1950's.
The tiger had been hunted after killing someone.
 Not only are there no more tigers in Hong Kong, the species is dwindling fast in the world.  They are valuable commodities on the black market, making them still sought after by poachers.
I was disappointed by no photos being allowed, and almost rebelled, like any good Chinese person does with their cell phones and flash photography at Disney shows.  But I am not Chinese and did not want to be the arrogant, white American who ignores local laws.
I don't know much about taxidermy, and the life of original teeth. While fake eyes, I always assume are a given, are fake teeth? Maybe they were real.  The fur I will take their word at being real. I am a positive person and I felt a thrill at seeing it and felt the hike up the steps was worth it.

 The naming of where we lived in Hong Kong is Tai Po.
 Tai Po means big steps. It is said, that the name came from when people had to take big steps to get home fast and stay clear of the tigers.
 I am glad we didn't have to worry about being mauled on our way to the MTR, but I do find it sad that the tiger is disappearing in the wild.

The uniforms displayed what an Indian, Chinese and British officer would wear in the early days of British rule. Primarily distinguished by their hats. The Indian would wear a turban, and a  Chinese officer were wear the typical conical shaped hat.



Here is me obeying laws and settling for stock photos and outside pics.


We had to take bus No. 15, this is the bus you take to the Peak, when you don't want to ride the tram.

Overall impression:  You have to ascend some steps to get the museum and it is small, but it does give some nice history that isn't covered in other museums. I especially liked the aerial photo on display of the Kowloon Walled City shortly before it was demolished.
  
Everyone has their "I heart HK" or Starbucks Hong Kong mugs, but I will cherish my Hong Kong police museum cup.   I also got a nice postcard collection with a photograph of the different police officers and the tiger, after it had been captured. 

If you have a weekend in HK, maybe skip it, but if you are going to be here awhile, take the slow way up the Peak sometime and stop by. 


No comments: