Who?

My photo
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States

Aug 10, 2009

Snacks and treats


Moving Feet from outypants on Vimeo.






If you read any tour book on Hong Kong they all say that you can't talk about Hong Kong without talking about the food. You don't have to live here for long to know what the mean. The city is international so you are able to try anything. Sharing our food experiences will occur from time to time.
I wanted to take a moment to talk about the snacks and treats that have frequented our shelves the past 5 months.
I have posted about Kinder Eggs before. Chocolate shell that easily separates and has a toy inside, the toy is inside another container and you usually have to assemble it. I recently have been awarding these for verse memorization. The chocolate quality is very good and I enjoy the hazelnut Kinder Bueno candy bars myself. Think of Nutella in candy bar form..

Another treat is Mamee noodles. Basically it is uncooked ramen noodles that are primarily intended to eat uncooked as a snack. We have had them both ways and they are quite good. They are extremely messy when the kids eat them dry and I am cleaning up dried noodles for a few days after- so they don't get these too often.
We have two kinds of milk drinks we buy. Yakult and Wahaha
here is the wikipedia snippet on what is Yakult.
Yakult- is a Japanese probiotic milk-like product made by fermenting a mixture of skimmed milk with a special strain of the bacteria Lactobacillus casei Shirota. - simple definition
It is considered to be a healthier drink for the kids. It has sugar so I don't let them drink all they want.
Wahaha is a yogurt drink that Jane prefers.
My kids call these drinks Milkys


In the picture I have Mango tic-tacs. I like the flavor of Mango and here in Hong Kong you can find almost anything that will have Mango as one of the flavors. Even potato chips. My new favorite Mango product is Nestles frozen Wonder bar. It has this popsicle like outer shell that is ok but inside is a creamy mango flavored "pudding"pop like texture.



Nathan's favorite store is Okashi Land - you can find Japanese snacks and toys for sale. Nathan says his two favorite things.
Elliot calls it moomookashi. I have no idea why- but it is one of those cute things you aren't in too big of a hurry to correct. The celing to floor selection can make you fill up your wicker basket quickly. The huge selection of seaweed products usually gets passed up by us. Pocky is always a good treat and one we could find in the states. I really like the Banana chocolate flavored. Nathan recently tried carrot juice in a can from there he said it was good.

1 comment:

Andria said...

Those were some of THE BEST dance moves I have seen in a long time!!!!!